Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2015, 03:26:25 AM
Home Search Search Login Register

+  Pet Goldfish - Aquarium Forum Community
|-+  Aquarium
| |-+  Health and Illness
| | |-+  my dead goldfish
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Reply
Author Topic: my dead goldfish  (Read 1319 times)
briexcell
Newbie
*

Karma: 1
Posts: 3



my dead goldfish
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:27:25 AM »
Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie. I'm a koi enthusiast (although still new to the hobby). My first pet though are goldfishes and one just died last night after I did a 100% water change. I wonder what happened. It was the second time I did a 100% water change. The first one was they were all OK. I did the same routine. I'm so sad. I'm an animal lover and I know my fishes aren't that good-looking but I still love them sssoo much.. I haven't eat since last night.. By the way, I have a 50 gallon tank and there are only 3 goldfishes on it.
Logged
Littlefishy
Jr. Member
**

Karma: 9
Posts: 54



Re: my dead goldfish
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 12:03:19 PM »
Reply with quote

poor you. its always sad when a little fish dies
Logged
fantailer
Sr. Member
****

Karma: 123
Posts: 1633



Re: my dead goldfish
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
Reply with quote

It has a abnormally large belly maybe some internal disease. The 100% waterchanges stress fish and could have also killed him. I'm sorry your fish died R. I. P. Cry
Logged
briexcell
Newbie
*

Karma: 1
Posts: 3



Re: my dead goldfish
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
Reply with quote

I still can't get over my meimei. meimei's his name. I so love him so much and I missed him already..huhuhuhu
Logged
Nossie
Hero Member
*****

Karma: 481
Posts: 5469



Re: my dead goldfish
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
Reply with quote

It's sadly probably only because you changed 100% of the water. By doing so, you're destroying the beneficial bacteria, i.e. the biological filter. And you're basically killing what would actually keep your fish healthy, the bacteria that changes ammonia into nitrites and nitrates. Ammonia is incredibly toxic, and that is what killed your fish. It probably got an internal infection because of the bad water quality, hence the swollen abdomen. When it gets this far though, there's not much you can do since the internal organs have most likely been destroyed by the illness.

From now on, try to let your tank cycle by doing 50% water changes once a week instead Wink Buy some beneficial bacteria and add it regularly to your filter, also keep track on the water parameters, buy a test kit with tests for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, test daily the first few weeks and change water whenever the ammonia gets too high!
If you love your pets, this'll help you keep them alive and healthy a lot longer Smiley
Logged
Pages: [1] Reply  
« previous next »
Jump to:  



Name:

BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough|GlowShadowMarquee|Preformatted TextLeft AlignCenteredRight Align|Horizontal Rule|Font SizeFont Face
Insert FlashInsert ImageInsert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert FTP Link|Insert TableInsert Table RowInsert Table Column|SuperscriptSubscriptTeletype|Insert CodeInsert Quote|Insert List
Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Sad Shocked Cool Huh Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed Lips sealed Undecided Kiss Cry









Page created in 0.147 seconds with 17 queries.