There are many recipes available for making your own goldfish food. This is just one variation you can try.
Some ingredients you will need:
- 6 oz can of shrimp (this item can be substituted with canned sardines or beef heart, pellet feed or flakes)
- 2 ounces of frozen spinach (this item can be substituted with baby food, peas or spinach, or chopped kale)
- 1 ounce of grated carrots (can be substituted with spirulina)
- 3 tablespoon of Brewer's yeast (can be substituted with wheat germ or wheat gluten)
- 1 tablespoon of liquid vitamins ( can be replaced with 1/2 tablet of a multivitamin supplement)
- 5 mL cod liver oil (can also supplement with Vitamine E(15 IU) as antioxidant
- 2 oz of unflavored powdered gelatin (a good one to use is Knox Unflavored gelatin, which is a pure gelatin with nothing else added) to help keep all the ingredients together
- 15 oz of water
Mixing all the ingredients together:
1: Blend 5 oz of water with the brewer's yeast, vitamins, baby cereal, spinach, carrots, and shrimp in a blender.
2: Boil remaining 10 oz of water.
3: Add boiling water to gelatin in a bowl.
4: Cool the gelatin mixture until warm (not cold).
5: Next add the contents from the blender (from step 1) to the partially cooled gelatin mixture and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
6: If needed, add medication to the cooled mixture.
7: Pour the mixture into an ice tray or flat pan and refrigerate.
8: Cut the gelatinized mixture into cubes for feeding and store unused portions in the freezer.
For information about commercial goldfish food <<